LibraryLil

Monday, September 18, 2006

Wiki: not the sequel to Hooway for Wodney Wat

When I first saw the list of 23 things, wikis jumped out at me because I had heard the term quite a bit but did not know what they were, how to use them, etc. I have used Wikiopedia before (being careful because what is printed there may not be accurate or authoritative) but that's the extent of my prior dealings with wikis. I wish I had known how they worked a year or so ago when I was still in library school. With all that group work I had to do, creating a website that we could all update would have been great!

Today I learned the definition of wiki, how they work, and some ways that they have been used in the library world. Of the examples I looked at, my favorite was the Princeton Public Library that created a reader's club for its summer reading participants. While I don't think it would work well for the children's summer reading program, I think adults and teens would enjoy being able to add their thoughts about the books they've been reading. I will absolutely return to the best practices wiki to browse what others have contributed. Who knows? Maybe I'll even add something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home