LibraryLil

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Seven and a Half Habits

One of the 23 things we have to do is learn about lifelong learning. Okay, no problem. I watched the tutorial on the "7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners." And, for those of you who don't want to watch the 14 minute tutorial, here they are:
  1. Begin with the end in mind. In other words, determine a goal.
  2. Accept responsibility for your own learning
  3. View problems as challenges
  4. Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
  5. Create your own learning toolbox
  6. Use technology to your advantage
  7. Teach & mentor others
  8. (Actually, 7 1/2, but the bulleted list won't allow it) Play

Now, as the bulleted list demonstrates for me oh so effectively, this is actually a list of 8 things and I don't understand why we need the half, since play is part of the reason they are doing this, but I'll go with it anyway.

So, as per my instruction, which one of these habits is easiest for me? Well, in this case, the goal has already been determined for me, and I have simply affirmed that I want to achieve it. But I also keep a list of my own personal goals, so I guess this one is pretty easy for me. I frequently start things with a goal in mind. I do not, however, always start things with a time frame in mind.

As for the hardest, I guess using technology to my advantage, simply because I never have the latest technology, so it is sometimes hard to use newer things since I am trying to utilize things that were not made to run with systems as old as the one I have. I also did not grow up around computers and a lot of the technology, despite my age. Computers were not a standard part of my life the way they were for many of my contemporaries, and I still feel as though I am playing catch-up. I can use a computer now, but I'm never up on the latest and newest technology. But for this project, there are tutorials for each item, so I feel fairly confident (see how I worked in habit #4?) that I should be able to compensate for this “weakest habit.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home